My mom is far from being the most tech-savvy person on the planet, so imagine my surprise when she forwarded an email message my way, telling me about this remarkable five-minute chocolate cake recipe.
What makes this recipe particularly unique is that you don’t need any real baking skills, you don’t need an oven, and you don’t need any kind of real baking utensils. That’s because this chocolate cake is prepared in a coffee mug (we all love coffee, right?) and you do the “baking” in the microwave.
The Ingredients and Requirements
So, what do you need to bake this cake? While the people in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery on 4/20 may include an extra special ingredient in the mix, here’s what the email listed:
– 4 tablespoons flour
– 4 tablespoons sugar
– 2 tablespoons cocoa
– 1 egg
– 3 tablespoons milk
– 3 tablespoons oil
– 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
– a small splash of vanilla extract
– 1 large coffee mug
Naturally, you’ll need a teaspoon for mixing and a microwave for “baking” too.
Chocolate Cake in Five Minutes or Less
Let me preface this by saying that I am no baker. Don’t ask me to sift any flour or whisk any mixture. However, seeing how all I need is a microwave and a coffee mug, I think I can handle preparing this chocolate cake. Here are the instructions:
1. Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well.
2. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
3. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
4. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract. Mix again.
5. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high.
6. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don’t be alarmed!
7. Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
8. EAT! (This can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous.)
I’m guessing that this chocolate cake recipe came from a Brit, since the email concludes with “You are going to print this out straight away, aren’t you?” I don’t know too many Americans or Canadians who use the term “straight away.”
I do know many Canadians and Americans who will gladly each chocolate cake though. Enjoy!
(On a side note, these pictures came with the forwarded email. They’re not mine. Maybe I’ll post a pic to my Flickr photostream soon.)