“It’s the most wonderful time of the year.”
If you’re looking for some awesome gift ideas that won’t break the bank, I’ve got you covered with presents to suit a wide variety of interests. Several of the items that I listed in last year’s budget gift guide are still perfectly applicable today, if you’re looking for even more ideas too.
Gift Ideas for Him
With the new Star Wars movie opening in less than two weeks, I would be remiss not to include at least one geeky item from that epic universe, right? So, let’s start there.
- Star Wars Stormtrooper Mug ($17.99) – This is the coffee mug you are looking for! One of the best things about the imminent arrival of The Force Awakens is that it has awakened all sorts of nostalgia for the original trilogy. This gift idea can’t miss!
- The Thinker Neck Tie ($18.95) – I know. Getting someone a tie is about as generic a gift as it gets, but you can still be pretty creative by finding something a little more inspired and fun. If you’re a regular reader of Beyond the Rhetoric, then you think too much too.
- Street Fighter: World Warrior Encyclopedia Hardcover ($25.99) – Enthusiasm among the fighting game community is steadily on the rise with Street Fighter V set for release next year. Catch up on the stories of all the world warriors with this exhaustive encyclopedia filled with epic art by Udon.
- Aeropress Espresso Maker ($27.74) – Even though I have multiple ways to brew a cup of coffee myself, it’s the Aeropress that I use on a daily basis. It provides a great deal of control and the ritual of making a great cuppa joe is richly therapeutic. This is an excellent alternative to the Italian mokapot, particularly for guys who don’t have the time or patience to hover over a stove.
Gift Ideas for Her
Diamonds might be a girl’s best friend, but you’re certainly not to going to find a diamond for less than fifty bucks. Thankfully, there are gift ideas available that she’ll surely treasure just the same.
- Fifty Shades of Chicken ($11.29) – If you’re feeling particularly saucy and would love nothing more than to lick some dripping thighs, then this cookbook is for you! The recipes contained herein are definitely a little tongue in cheek.
- Star Wars Double R2D2 Sublimated Leggings ($29.99) – What’s to say the gal in your life can’t be just as geeky about Star Wars? These R2-D2 leggings offer a huge dash of personality while providing the wearer with full range of movement.
- Swarovski Crystal Snowflake Floating Locket Necklace ($30.99) – Even if you can’t buy a diamond for $50, you can still get some pretty shiny bling that’ll put a sparkle in her eye. I particularly like the “floating” aspect of this locket and it looks like you can replace the contents with whatever you’d like.
- Garmin Vivofit Fitness Band ($49.99) – Everyone wants to get (or stay) in shape and I’ve always found that simply monitoring what you do can have a dramatically positive impact. Track those steps and make fitness fun again.
Gift Ideas for Children
We all know that Christmas is really for the kids. The gift ideas you might consider will vary considerably with the age of the child, of course, but these might get you looking in the right direction.
- Roald Dahl Magical Gift Set ($17.98) – This collection includes Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, Fantastic Mr. Fox and James and the Giant Peach. If you’re feeling even more generous, there is a larger box set with 15 paperback books for just under $40. That one includes The BFG too.
- Kinderglo Portable Night Light ($24.95) – Available as several different animals, the Kinderglo Night Light is unique for several reasons. It’s portable and fully rechargeable, for starters, and it can cycle through multiple colors, shutting itself off automatically after 30 minutes.
- Hape Totally Amazing Roller Derby Rolling Maze ($32.29) – I’ve heard some very good things about the Hape range of products. There’s something about wooden toys that make them feel so much more satisfying and traditional than their plastic counterparts. Even the included balls are made of wood.
- Amazon Fire Tablet ($49.99) – While there are recommendations about limiting the amount of screen time that your children get, it’s undeniable that these electronic devices can function as excellent educational tools. At this price, you won’t lose sleep if the little one plays a little too rough either.
‘Tis Better to Give Than to Receive
I like getting gifts as much as the next guy, but it’s so rewarding when see someone smile from ear to ear because of something you gave them. As cliche as it may sound, it really is better to give than to receive. Be generous this holiday season and spread some festive cheer.
“… and the shoppers rush home with their treasures.”