What I Want for Christmas This YearDecember 21st, 2010 by Michael Kwan
So, what do I hope Santa leaves under the tree for me this year? Here are a few items that have caught my eye.
- Panasonic Pancake Lens: My new Olympus PEN E-PL1 digital camera came with a 14-42mm kit lens and while it is certainly smaller than a traditional DSLR, it’s still larger than a compact point-and-shoot. Helping in this regard is something called the “pancake” lens. The Panasonic version, a Lumix G 20mm F1.7, is shorter and helps to make the PEN much more pocket-friendly.
- Microsoft Kinect: I got an Xbox 360 back in 2008 and then I got another one earlier this year. While I am not totally sold on the “controller-free” gaming of Kinect, I can appreciate its appeal and I think it would be fun to hold a Dance Central party in my house. Bust a move!
- Asus U-Series Notebook: Last month, I decided to pick up a desktop computer that could better handle HD video editing (for Dot Com Pho, among other ventures). I still have my old Dell laptop around as a backup computer, which is also what I’d use when I go on the road, but I’d really like to get a thin-and-light Asus notebook for travel purposes. It’d certainly help when I trudging around a trade show like CES.
- Google Nexus S: Just as I replaced my old Dell laptop with a new custom desktop, it’s probably about time that I replace my Nokia E71 smartphone too. I’m reasonably certain that my next smartphone will be an Android device and the Google Nexus S (by Samsung) is the newest and hottest of the bunch with Android 2.3 Gingerbread. The HTC Desire Z is very appealing too, thanks to its flip-out hardware QWERTY keyboard.
- The Daily Show Presents Earth: The rest of this wish list is very technologically-biased, but I think it would be great if I got this new book from Jon Stewart and the rest of the team at The Daily Show. I already have their earlier book, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents America, so I imagine this new book is just as entertaining and whimsical.
If you’re feeling particularly generous, feel free to check out my wish list on Amazon to see what you can buy for your favorite freelance writer and blogger.
In all seriousness, though, I am very thankful for what I already have and your hard-earned money would be put to better use by a charity of your choosing. Just tell them I sent you.
Unrelated side note: The full lunar eclipse happened last night. In case you missed it, I put together a quick video on YouTube. Pretty cool stuff.
Filed under Technology.