Last year, I shared some fun facts about BC, so I thought I’d add to that list with a few more interesting tidbits about our gorgeous province. Our license plates don’t say Beautiful British Columbia for nothing!
- The Colony of British Columbia was formally established and designated in 1858, thanks to the huge influx of Fraser Canyon Gold Rush hopefuls.
- New Westminster was named as the area’s first capital.
- BC has had the third largest population in the country since 1951. Ontario and Quebec have always been first and second, respectively.
- Most of the land (and water) in BC is still wild or semi-wild, providing much space for wildlife to thrive.
- Several mammalian species that have become rare (or nonexistent) in the USA continue to flourish in BC, like the Kermode bear (spirit bear), marmots, beavers, and coyotes.
Do you have a fun BC fact to share? That’s what the comment form at the bottom is for! ðŸ™‚ Enjoy your holiday.