I’ve been tagged by both Ed Lau and Jon Lee to continue a blogified version of a chain letter. As per their request, I am to list five of my greatest obsessions and describe them a bit to you. I guess this is designed to prove that I am, in fact, human and not just a freelance writing machine that churns out top notch articles at reasonable prices (sorry for the shameless self plug). It’s also a fun link-baiting scheme (there’s a lot of that going around… the whole My Name is My Domain thing has sent me a little bit of traffic).
What is Michael Kwan obsessed with? I’ll tell ya! (In no particular order)
- Money: While I may not be a dot com mogul like John Chow just yet, I am working on it. All of my income is made over the internet, and being self-employed, I am necessarily involved with all my finances. Accurate records are important, so I obsess over all the money coming in, all the expenses going out, and all the other processes along the way. Susanne knows that I talk about money all day long. And the things that money can buy, which brings me to…
- Cell Phones and Portable Electronics: On the one hand, I enjoy writing for Mobile Magazine, because it gives me an opportunity to fiddle with some gadgets (most recently, I got some Bluetooth gear from Kyocera), but on the other hand, it makes me lust after all the latest gadgetry that I can’t possibly get my hands on. Japan and Korea get some crazy cell phones and other portable electronics and either a) I can’t get it because they don’t sell it here, or b) I don’t get it because I think it’s too expensive for my own good. But yeah, ask me anything about cell phones and there’s a good chance I have an answer for you.
- Poker: It’s funny, really, because I’ve never played poker at a casino. In this way, poker is not a money-making (or losing) venture for me as much as it is just a hobby or an area of interest. I watch a lot of it on TV, but mostly only when I know the people sitting at the table. Guys like Phil Hellmuth, Doyle Brunson, Phil Ivey, Scotty Nguyen, and so on. I used to play online for fun, but I don’t really do that anymore. I do play just about every weekend with my friends in our modest home game though. Poker: It’s taking the world by storm.
- The Canucks: Especially now that it’s playoff time, I just can’t get enough hockey. I joined a pool, busted out my playoff predictions and made some key hockey pool picks. I’m not really all that obsessed with hockey as I am with the Canucks (even when the bandwagon is pretty empty).
- Moving Out: With the insane housing market in Vancouver, it’s becoming more and more difficult for anyone to buy a house, unless you already have one to flip and profit from. What’s more, many people are taking out mortgages and secured loans that they simply cannot afford. I watch the housing market quite a bit to see where prices are going, so that I can see when (and if) I can afford to move out on my own. The way things are going in Vancouver, it might be a while.
A portion of this post was sponsored by ThriftyScot